Taking Zinc supplements could help to cure coughs and colds and speed up your recovery by TWO days, study claims | Zinc can relieve cold and cough in two days, it reduces symptoms of headache, runny nose and fever
By Ankit Sharma - November 6, 2021
A minute ago
Zinc present in the diet can prevent cold and cough and reduce its symptoms. New research says, in such cases, recovery can be done in just 2 days by taking zinc supplements. Researchers from Western University have made this claim in their recent research.
Researchers claim, zinc reduces the rate of infection as well as shortens the time of illness. However, how much quantity should be taken, it has not been clearly told.
Scientists at Western University examined more than a dozen studies that linked zinc and respiratory tract infections. Apart from this, his own research revealed that zinc can also reduce the symptoms of cold and cough. It can reduce runny nose, headache and increased body temperature.
What is zinc, why is it important and what new things came out in research, know the answers to these questions …
What does zinc do in the body?
Zinc is a nutrient that has many functions in the body. It helps in boosting the body’s immunity, improving digestion and preventing inflammation. Zinc is found in good amounts in meat, shellfish and cheese.
Britain’s health agency NHS says that men can take 9.5 mg and women 7 mg zinc through diet. Experts say, if you are taking zinc supplements, then do not take more than the prescribed quantity. By doing this, there can be a lack of iron in the body and bones can become weak.
What came out in the research, now understand it
The team of researchers investigated 28 trials of zinc being done on 5500 people. Research says, zinc can be given to patients suffering from cold and cough through oral or nasal spray.
During the research, those who were given zinc, their condition improved in 2 days. At the same time, in patients who were not given zinc, symptoms persisted till the seventh day.
Researchers say, if the cold-cough has reached a very severe level, then zinc daily does not reduce the symptoms, but its effect starts showing from the third day.
Claim; No visible side effects
According to the research, side effects of zinc were not observed in any patient during the study. Therefore, it can be said that zinc can prove to be better for those who are looking for an effective option for cold-cough treatment.
However, researchers say, this research has been done on few people. This needs to be done on a large scale.
Complete the deficiency of zinc with these 5 things in the diet
1. Watermelon Seeds and Nuts: It is rich in zinc and potassium. You can dry the watermelon seeds and grind it and add it to your food. Apart from this, you can take a handful of dry fruits daily.
2. Fish : Apart from zinc, protein, it also contains good amount of many nutrients. It can be taken twice a week. Zinc also helps in boosting your immunity.
3. Egg : An egg contains up to 5 percent zinc. Experts say, include it in your diet every day. Along with increasing immunity, it also repairs the damaged muscles.
4. Dairy Products: If you do not like to eat non-veg, then you can increase the amount of dairy products in the diet. Zinc deficiency can also be fulfilled by milk, cheese, curd.
5. Dark Chocolate: It not only fulfills the deficiency of zinc but also gives relief from pain during periods. Dark chocolate improves metabolism and keeps the mood happy.