- Reliance Jio had a user base of 38.282 crores in February 2020, the company added 6.62 million wireless subscribers
- BSNL also increased its user base to 11.968 crore by adding 4,39,318 subscribers at the end of February.
Jun 30, 2020, 11:54 AM IST
new Delhi. In less than two years, Vodafone Idea has lost 11.613 crore subscribers and the company has reached the third position with 32.5 million user base. During the same period, Reliance Jio strengthened its user base and Bharti Airtel succeeded in maintaining its market share. According to the report, Vodafone Idea has lost more customers than BSNL's wireless user base in 19 months.
Voda-Idea had a combined user base of 44.165 crore in 2018.
- According to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) data, the wireless subscriber base of BSNL stood at 11.358 crore at the end of August 2018. Vodafone India and Idea Cellular were merged on August 31, 2018 and after the merger they had a combined user base of 44.165 crore. Meanwhile, Bharti Airtel had a user base of 34.588 crore, while Reliance Jio had 23.923 crore. As of August 2018, Vodafone Idea was ahead of the market with 37.85% share, followed by Airtel at 29.64% and Reliance Jio at 20.50%. The wireless share of BSNL was 9.73%.
Market picture changed in 19 months
- But after 19 months, the dynamics of the market have completely changed. Reliance Jio achieved a wireless market share of 32.99% by February 2020, followed by Airtel at 28.35% and Vodafone Idea at 28.05%. BSNL stake increased to 10.32%.
- In February 2020, Reliance Jio added 62.5 lakh wireless subscribers to expand its base to 38.282 crore, while Airtel added 922,946 users to take its overall base to 32.907 crore. Vodafone Idea lost 34.6 lakh subscribers and had a base of 32.552 crores in February.
- At the end of February, BSNL also increased its base to 11.968 crore by adding 4,39,318 customers.
Voda-Idea is lagging behind in connecting broadband users as well
- Vodafone Idea is also lagging behind in connecting wireless broadband users. The company has 11.823 million broadband users, the lowest in the industry. In contrast, Jio has 38.283 crore broadband users as the company is fully 4G operator whereas Airtel has 14.365 crore wireless broadband users as of February 2020.