- Between 25 March and 30 June, daughters who have completed 10 years of age will get benefit
- Currently getting interest of 7.6% on Sukanya Samriddhi account
Jul 05, 2020, 04:10 PM IST
new Delhi. The central government has given great relief to Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana due to the lockdown. The government has also given permission to daughters who have completed 10 years of age to open an account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana during lockdown. That is, daughters who have completed 10 years of age during 25 March to 30 June can also open an account under this scheme. For this, the government has given relaxation in age limit.
Account can be opened only till the age of 10 years
Under the current rules, only daughters who have completed 10 years of birth can open an account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. But during lockdown, a large number of parents could not open their daughters account under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. To give relief to such parents, the government has relaxed the age limit. The Postal Department has issued new guidelines in this regard. However, the benefit of this rebate will be given only on opening of the account before 31 July 2020.
You can invest up to one and a half lakh rupees in 1 year
Under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, up to Rs 1.5 lakh can be invested in this account in a year. Under this scheme the account holder gets interest at the rate of 7.6 per cent. This is the highest interest rate among small saving schemes. In this scheme, only account can be opened in the name of a daughter. Maximum two daughters of a family can open an account under this scheme.
Special features of Sukanya Samriddhi account
- Sukanya Samriddhi account is opened for a period of 15 years.
- After completing the age of 18 years, partial withdrawal is available at the time of marriage of the daughter.
- This account can be closed after the daughter completes 21 years of age.
- Money can also be deposited in this account online.
- In case of death of the parent or account holder, this account can be closed before maturity.
- As of May 2020 more than 16 million accounts have been opened under Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.