In the 12th round of military talks with China on Saturday, India stressed on the immediate withdrawal of troops from various tension points in Hot Spring, Gogra and eastern Ladakh. Sources in the security establishment said that the talks between the two countries lasted for about nine hours. Without giving detailed information, he said that there was extensive consultation and extensive discussion between the two sides. There is no formal comment/statement yet on the outcome of the talks at the Moldo border point on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh. It was expected that today’s talks would lead to some significant positive progress in the process of withdrawal of troops from Gogra and Hot Spring.
According to the information received, the two sides discussed “to bring peace to the rest of the tension points, to proceed with the process of withdrawal of troops and to jointly maintain stability at the ground level”. Sources said that the talks between the two sides started at 10:30 am (10:30) and lasted till 7.30 pm (7:30). A source said that the Indian side insisted on an immediate resolution of the standoff and especially the early withdrawal of troops from Hot Spring and Gogra. Before the talks, sources had said that India is hopeful of a positive outcome regarding the withdrawal process. India has been consistently emphasizing that all pending issues, including Depsang, Hot Spring and Gogra, need to be resolved for a holistic relationship between the two sides.
Today’s talks have taken place at an interval of more than three and a half months. The 11th round of military talks between the two sides was held on April 9 at the Chushul border point in the Indian side of the LAC, which lasted for about 13 hours. Significantly, about two weeks before the 12th round of military talks, External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar had categorically told Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi that the continuing standoff in eastern Ladakh was negatively affecting bilateral relations between the two countries. The foreign ministers of the two countries had about an hour-long bilateral talks on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit in Dushanbe, capital of Tajikistan, on July 14. In the meeting, Jaishankar told Wang that any unilateral change on the LAC was “unacceptable” to India and relations would be able to develop fully only after the restoration of peace and stability in eastern Ladakh.
In the last round of military talks aimed at de-escalating tensions in the region, the two sides discussed ways to proceed with the withdrawal of troops from Hot Spring, Gogra and Depsang. However, no progress has been made in the process of withdrawal of troops. In the talks held today, the Indian delegation was led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, the Commander of the 14th Corps posted in Leh. The standoff on the border between the armies of India and China began in May last year in the Pangong Lake area and both sides have since increased the deployment of their troops and heavy weapons there. At present, 50 to 60 thousand soldiers are deployed on each side of the LAC in sensitive sectors.
(This news has not been edited by NewsBust team. It has been published directly from Syndicate feed.)